Snow Angels is a program to assist Hamilton seniors and disabled residents with a financial subsidy to help them meet the requirements of the City of Hamilton Sidewalk Snow Clearing By-law. The subsidy can be used to pay for snow removal needed to clear the sidewalk and to provide safe walking access to the front door and through the snow-plow windrow. This subsidy is not to be used for whole driveway snow clearing.
Applicants must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Be a resident of Hamilton
- Own your home AND must live in the home during the winter season
- Are unable to remove your own snow and have no one living in the home who is physically able to remove snow
- 65 years of age or older and/or have a physical disability
- Have a total household income below the current Statistics Canada Low-Income Measurement for your family size
|Family Size||Income (After Taxes)|
Eligible residents will receive two installments of $225 for a total of $450.
- First installment $225 will be sent to you by cheque when we approve your application.
- Second installment You will be required to complete the City of Hamilton Snow Removal Expense log to confirm the first installment was used for snow removal. Once your log is received, staff will review and issue a second advance of up to $225.
- At the end of the winter season, you are required to submit the completed Snow Removal Expense log for any snow clearing expenses not previously reported. The final log sheet is due no later than April 30, 2024.
Applications will be accepted starting November 1, 2023. Applications can be submitted by completing the online form, or by completing the PDF application and submitting it in-person, by mail or fax.
Before beginning the application process, you will need the following information:
- A current Notice of Assessment for each adult living in your household. Each adult should have received their own Notice of Assessment from Revenue Canada after completing their most recent tax return.
- Proof of Age (birth certificate, driver’s license, Ontario photo ID card, etc.)
- Proof of Disability if under 65 years of age such as a Canada Pension Plan (CPP) Disability benefit statement, Canada Revenue Agency Disability Tax Credit (DTC), or recipient of Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP)
Residents who complete the PDF application will need to fax, mail or drop-off the application and additional documents in-person.
Drop-off, mail or fax PDF application to:
Special Supports Program
1550 Upper James Unit 14A
Hamilton Ontario L9B 2L6
If you need a paper application mailed to you, please call the Special Supports Program at 905-546-2590 Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm to request a paper application be mailed to you.
Additional Community Snow Removal Programs
There are also a number of community-based programs that may be able to provide snow removal assistance even if you do not receive a subsidy. Note community-based programs are not run by the City of Hamilton. Please contact them directly for further information.
|Snow Angels Canada||Submit Contact Form|
|Stoney Creek Seniors Outreach||905-643-1919|
|St. Joseph’s Home Care||905-522-6887|