Funerals, Burials & Cremations
The City of Hamilton provides financial assistance on behalf of deceased Hamilton residents who do not have sufficient funds in their estate to fully cover the cost of a basic funeral, burial and/or cremation.
- Contact can be made with the Special Supports Program immediately following a death. Special Supports will not accept an application to pre-approve arrangements for a person which is not deceased.
- Contact can be made by next of kin, any relative or bona fide friend who has assumed responsibility for the funeral arrangement.
- If the deceased has no family or friends, arrangements can be made by a professional associated with the person (e.g. nursing home administrator, representative of a hospital, etc.). The Police and/or the Hospital will notify the Regional Supervising Coroner if a body is unclaimed despite reasonable efforts to locate a potential claimant. The Regional Supervising Coroner will issue a written order to the Special Supports, under the Anatomy Act, to proceed with funeral arrangements.
- In cases where the funeral and burial has already occurred prior to an application with Special Supports, funeral assistance will not be provided.
- In situations where the funeral occurred on a weekend or holiday or where extenuating circumstances exist, consideration will be given on a case by case basis.
June 25, 2022