Get involved in the City of Hamilton’s 2023 budget process
HAMILTON, ON – Members of the public will have a few opportunities over the coming months to provide their perspective on this year’s City of Hamilton budget.
The first public delegation opportunity is scheduled for the November 21, 2022 General Issues Committee (GIC) meeting and will provide an opportunity for community members to speak to priorities in advance of staff presenting the 2023 rate supported and tax supported budgets.
Applications to speak virtually, in person or to provide a written delegation for the November 21 GIC meeting are due by 12 noon on November 18, 2022. Applications to provide a video delegation are due by 12 noon on November 17, 2022.
The second delegation day for the 2023 budget process is scheduled for the February 6, 2023 GIC meeting, following presentations from City departments, boards and agencies. Members of the public will have an opportunity to focus more specifically on priorities as they relate to the tax supported budget.
Applications to speak virtually, in person or to provide a written delegation about the tax operating budget is 12 noon on February 3, 2023. Applications to provide a video delegation for the tax operating budget are due by 12 noon on February 2, 2023.
Since 2018, the City of Hamilton has adopted a multi-year budget to better reflect the future forecast. In planning for 2023-2026, the City’s budget plans will build on the challenges and themes of the last year that will continue impacting services in 2023.
Key challenges that will be highlighted in budget presentations include inflation, rising interest rates, COVID-19 response and recovery efforts and future funding commitments. Additional themes to be highlighted include regulatory requirements, asset management practices and environmental considerations.
All City Council decisions around budget are informed by budget presentations, staff recommendations, and public delegations and feedback.
Members of the public interested in the City’s 2023 budget process can monitor the City’s website for budget-focused GIC meetings, which are streamed via the City's website, the City's YouTube channel or via https://cable14.com.
For more information, visit hamilton.ca/budget
- The City of Hamilton provides more than 70 city services daily that residents rely on, such as parks, recreation, transit, emergency services and waste programs.
- A total of 55 per cent of the property tax collected goes towards city services. The remaining 45 per cent goes to boards and agencies, education and provincially funded programs such as Public Health Services, long-term care, paramedics, housing, Ontario Works and Children’s Services.
- The City’s annual budget process is designed to create budgets that support City operations and deliver the programs and services required to maintain the high quality of life for residents in our community, in keeping with the priorities identified in the City's Strategic Plan.
- Each year, City staff begin budget planning and preparations in the spring.
- There are three main components to the City’s annual budget:
- The Tax Supported Operating budget - a plan for the day-to-day operations, including employee salaries, materials and supplies, contractual services and financing of capital projects. It is largely funded by property tax dollars and user fees, which include charges for recreation programs, transit, infractions, permits and licensing.
- The Tax Supported Capital budget - a the long-term plan for the construction or purchase and financing of the City’s capital assets (i.e. infrastructure, land, buildings, machinery and equipment). It is funded through grants, development charges, gas tax, reserves debt and contributions from the operating budget.
- Rate Supported Operating and Capital Budgets - the rate supported operating budget is the annual plan for the day-to-day operations of the City’s services and financing of capital projects supported from water, wastewater and stormwater user rates. The rate supported capital budget is a long-term plan for the purchase or construction and financing of water, waste water and stormwater capital assets. They are funded through grants, development charges, debt, reserves and contributions from the operating budget.