Construction in Your Area
Mountain Park Avenue Improvements Project
On March 27, 2023, the City of Hamilton began the 6 month construction project along Mountain Park Avenue from Upper Wentworth Street to Poplar Avenue.
The scope of work includes:
- Active transportation improvements, including the widening of the pedestrian pathway and additional bike lane features
- Tree planting
- Road resurfacing with minor watermain works
- Reconfiguration of parking lots to accommodate additional parking space
- Installation of black ornamental fencing (east of Poplar Avenue) and street furniture which includes bike racks, benches, waste receptacles and more.
Access During Project
- Mountain Park Avenue between Poplar Avenue and Upper Wentworth Street, including the Upper Wentworth escarpment staircase will remain closed for the duration of the project.
- As of April 3, 2023, the Wentworth escarpment staircase will be closed between the Sherman Access and Wentworth to ensure safety through the construction zone.
- Parking lots within the construction boundaries will be closed for the duration of the project.
Local access through the work zone will be maintained.
To learn more about this project, view the City's StoryMap
The project incorporates the principles of:
- Vision Zero in the design in order to focus on the safe and efficient movement of pedestrians and cyclists. Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities standards have also been incorporated such as increased pedestrian and vehicle movement clarity, predictability, and visibility as well as simplified road crossing tasks and the provision of accessible pedestrian signals.
- The City of Hamilton’s Complete Streets Design Manual, which was endorsed by City Council in July 2022. The Complete Streets Design Manual provides a set of consistent guidelines and tools to inform the design, implementation, maintenance and monitoring of Hamilton roadways.
April 03, 2023