Cooking Clubs & After-School Programs
Did you know?
Involving kids in planning and preparing meals teaches them food skills and the importance of healthy eating.
A cooking club is a great way for everyone to learn how to prepare and enjoy healthy food. Cooking clubs are popular with children between 11 and 13 years old because they show an eagerness to learn to cook at this age. Cooking clubs introduce children to healthy eating in a way that encourages skill development.
Cooking clubs aim to help children:
- Identify and select healthy foods
- Understand and follow safe food handling practices
- Prevent injury in the kitchen
- Learn basic food preparation skills
Let's get started!
Learn how you can start a cooking club in your community, school or home:
Healthy Cooking, Healthy Living - The Beginner's Cooking Manual
Cuisine saine, vie saine - Le manuel des cuisiniers en herbe
Nutrition for After-School Programs
After-school programs can:
- provide healthy snacks
- give lessons on healthy eating
- organize hands-on activities with healthy food
- avoid using food as a reward
- role model healthy eating behaviours
Resources to support healthy eating in your after-school program:
Nutrition activities you can do in after-school programs